Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (ZSFG) is happy to provide opportunities for students from academic programs to receive clinical or job-related experiences.
- Responsibility for the care of patients assigned to students and work projects is retained by the department where the student is placed on the ZSFG campus or affiliated program sites.
- Student placement does not apply to the University of California at San Francisco (UCSF) medical students enrolled in clerkships or classes.
Whether you are a student, school faculty, or potential ZSFG preceptor, please look at the area below to figure out how to begin. Thank you for your interest in ZSFG!
Students are individuals who are enrolled in an approved academic program that has a current student placement agreement with the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH). These programs include, but are not limited to, nursing, rehabilitation, health administration, paramedicine, public health, radiology, and nutrition.
Examples of Students:
Nurse Practitioner| Nurse| Social Worker| MPH/MHA | Doctoral |Physical Therapist| Interpreter
- A student must be affiliated with an educational institution and collect credits/units for an internship, externship, fieldwork, class requirement, training or dissertation.
- If the requested placement involves payment or academic credit will not be earned during placement, please contact the Department of Education and Training (DET) BEFORE you begin the paperwork at 628.206.4655
- Check to see if your school and your program is on the approved school list.
- If your school or your program is not on the list, please inform your instructor, preceptor or ZSFG staff OR contact DET BEFORE you begin the paperwork.
- Students and schools must contact current preceptors/ZSFG staff below for placement availability.
- Student must find their own placement as we do not have a Available Placements list.
Preceptors/ZSFG staff Contact Information
|Psychiatry||Maria St. John PhD, MFT: 415.206.3752|
|Dietary/Nutrition||Site Coordinator: 415.206.6286|
|Health Education/Wellness Center||Community Wellness Program Coordinator: 415.206.4995|
|Interpreter Services||David Dao: 415.206.8665|
|Nursing and Nurse Practitioners||Janet Kosewic: 415.206.4191|
|Paramedicine||Sharon Kennedy: 415.206.5050|
|Radiology||Site Coordinator: 415.206.8020|
|Rehabilitation||Bernadette Courier: 415.206.5776|
|Respiratory||John Kelly: 415.206.5736|
|Social Work||Site Coordinator: 415.206.5822|
|Compassionate Caregiving Rounds/Spiritual Care||Floyd Trammell: 415.206.8983|
|Pharmacy||Currently NOT accepting students.|
|Other Disciplines||Department of Education & Training: 415.206.4655|
|Medical students||We do not place medical students; please contact UCSF for more information|
Student Required Form
- Student Form Return to your site coordinator unless otherwise instructed.
Preceptors/ZSFG Staff are employed by the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) or a SFDPH subcontractor (like UCSF) and located at a SFDPH facility.
Preceptor/ZSFG Staff Responsibility
- It is the responsibility of ZSFG staff or preceptor to provide instruction, supervision and or mentorship to fulfill the student’s educational experience.
- Preceptor/ ZSFG staff will maintain required records, address conflicts or concerns, and evaluate placements.
- Preceptor/ ZSFG staff are solely responsible for the documentation of completing the student placement process.
- You must keep a hard or electronic copy of the required forms for three years.
- In case of an audit, the forms must be readily available. Please review ZSFG Student Placements Policy 19.05.
Students and school staff must contact the preceptors of interest directly (see list above). This allows you to see if you can place a student or make future arrangements for the student. Immediately following the student inquiry and open availability, please check the approved schools list to see if the school and program area is already approved. If not, please contact the Department of Education and Training.
- Preceptors and ZSFG staff are not required to take students, even if there is a valid student agreement. It is up to your availability of staff and projects available for students that will determine if placement is available. To help assure you have a space, please use the Student Placement Agreement Form below.
- Parking and meals are NOT available to students.
- We do not cover health screening costs for Occupational Health Student must go to their personal provider or student health center for health records, vaccinations, and/or titers.
- Fingerprinting is not covered under Student Placements, if it is part of the precepting department’s requirements please contact the student’s school or Human Resources for assistance.
Preceptor/ZSFG Staff Form
- Student Placement Agreement Form Complete if needed, to assure there is an agreement with when and where the student will be placed. Please note you are not required to complete this form and it is only for you and the school contact.
- Complete only if your student requires:
(Please note, an active directory account will need to be made for the student. Follow your department procedure.)
Schools include universities, colleges, technical schools, institutes, high schools (16 or older) or community colleges that offer educational or training opportunities resulting in credit for enrolled students. Faculty are instructors or coordinators employed by an academic program to provide instruction to students.
Faculty must complete the required form below before instructing students on the ZSFG campus. Visiting faculty are allowed for five consecutive days or less. If visiting five consecutive days or more, please contact the Department of Education and Training.
Faculty and visiting faculty must wear an identification badge with name and picture while on the ZSFG campus.
School Staff (placement coordinators, program directors etc.) must assure that the relationship is established with the preceptor if the process is separate from faculty. One way to assist you in this process is the Student Placement Agreement Form (below), which will help you determine where and how many students you can place at ZSFG with your established contact. To see if placement is available for your student(s) review the list of current preceptors (see list above). You must contact the potential preceptor directly.
Student Training Agreements
- No student may be placed on the ZSFG campus or affiliated programs without first executing an agreement. For an up to date list of active agreements, please check this approved list. Remember to check the school and the program, as both need to be covered BEFORE a student is placed.
- School not on list?Contact the Department of Education and Training to begin the process. Please note that this process can take up to 3 months or longer. Also students, faculty and staff must be prepared to provide contact information for their Dean or Legal/Contracts Department.
- School on list, but my program is missing?Contact the Department of Education and Training to request adding the program to the list. This process usually takes a week to a month.
- What does it look like?The student training agreements or MOU (memorandum of understanding) is a template we use to develop the agreement between the school and the San Francisco Department of Public Health. Please review the template for more information.
All students are required to complete online New Employee Orientation (in person orientation is no longer required).
- Nursing and Clinical are required to complete an orientation module prior to starting their clinical rotation or placement.
- Non-Clinical Students are required to complete an orientation within 30 days of their start date.
Preceptors/ZSFG Staff it is your responsibility to check Litmos (the student learning management system) to determine if your student(s) completed the required online New Employee Orientation. It is highly recommended that you print the report and keep for your records. For a tutorial and more information, please contact Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Badges must be worn at all times.
- If a student/faculty identification badge includes a first/last name and photo, then the student/faculty must wear when on campus.
- If the badge does not have your photo or the department/clinic/unit requires a ZSFG badge, the preceptor/ZSFG staff must contact Human Resources (HR) to request a badge.
Identification badges are available at Human Resources, CHN Headquarters at 25th and Potrero. Drop in hours: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:00-10:30 am or Tuesdays and Thursdays, 2:30-3:00 pm.
- Step One: Preceptor/ZSFG staff calls (628.206.5538) HR to make the appointment or the student can drop during above times with a letter on official letterhead with preceptor or supervisor’s signature that includes the following:
- Student/Faculty Full Name
- Student Title (optional)
- Start/End Date (optional)
- Step Two: Assure that the student/faculty brings valid photo identification to the appointment.
- Step Three: Have student/faculty return to preceptor/ZSFG staff at the end of the placement.
For any questions or concerns, please contact below. You are welcome to send a copy of the forms for review (not required) by mail, fax or mail to:
Department of Education and Training
Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital & Trauma Center
1001 Potrero Avenue, Bldg 30, Suite 3200
San Francisco, CA 94110